Dissent is the Highest Form of Patriotism
Since when did "God Bless the USA" become the new national anthem? You know, that song by Lee Greenwood:
I think part of why the song bugs me is because of how blatantly it's meant to evoke emotions; no small part of it is because he says "ain't no doubt;" and part of it is because of the jingoistic connotations some people associated with the song after 9/11. It seems like the song became particularly popular after that day, when Americans were more receptive to having their patriotic feelings put to the tune of a cheesy country song. The unity we all yearned for was encapsulated in that song, and as soon as that feeling of unity carried over into feelings of anger and resolve, Toby Keith stepped in to fill the musical void with "The Taliban Song."
"The Taliban Song," naturally, is in keeping with the laws of nature that state that most country music is terrible; but it's also part of that awful Patriotic Anthem sect of country music, the poetic prose of which will be studied and emulated for centuries:
A close cousin of the patriotic anthems, by the way, is those slow, sad country songs. None may come to mind now, but you'd know it if you heard it. They're usually playing in the background as you drunk dial your ex-girlfriend, crying, saying that your life is so much better now that she left you for the guy who used to bully you in high school. You know who you are.
What also bugs me about country music is the way some people feel like it gives them free reign to wear their emotions on their sleeves. For example, there's a bar here in Jacksonville called Tarheel's, and it's where the country boys (the legit and the posers) go to drink light beer and compare belt buckles, or whatever it is they do when they're not rustling cattle. They play "God Bless the USA" on the reg there, and when they do, it's like you're transported back in time to when George W. Bush threw the first pitch at Yankee Stadium after 9/11. Patriotic fervor is running high, is what I'm trying to say here. Some guys hold their Stetsons over their hearts, biting their lower lips and tearing up like they're the only one from their battalion who made it back alive from the war.
But please don't get the wrong idea: I'm all about being patriotic. I flew the American flag from the window of my old Camaro after 9/11 and wore an American flag patch on my flak jacket in Iraq AND Afghanistan. You couldn't get more patriotic than that if you taught the Taliban how to play baseball and make apple pies. But don't shove your patriotism in people's faces. You shouldn't have to make a big scene for people to know how much you love your country. The Pharisees made a big scene about praying so people would think they're religious and invite them to dinner parties, and look what happened to them.
I went off onto a pretty wild tangent, but what I'm trying to say here is that I really don't like the song "God Bless the USA." If you like it, that's cool. Enjoy it. Just don't be gay about it.
I'm proud to be an AmericanSing along or you're unpatriotic.
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
And gave that right to me
And I'll proudly stand up next to youNow, I totally respect the meaning behind this song. I'm sure Lee Greenwood meant every single word of it when he wrote it and had no idea it would become as iconic as it has. But my goodness, it is irritating. I really don't think I can accurately describe the way this song makes me feel. What does it feel like when you're in love? What does it feel like when you see the sun set over the Pacific Ocean? It can't be described -- it just has to be experience firsthand.
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God bless the USA!
I think part of why the song bugs me is because of how blatantly it's meant to evoke emotions; no small part of it is because he says "ain't no doubt;" and part of it is because of the jingoistic connotations some people associated with the song after 9/11. It seems like the song became particularly popular after that day, when Americans were more receptive to having their patriotic feelings put to the tune of a cheesy country song. The unity we all yearned for was encapsulated in that song, and as soon as that feeling of unity carried over into feelings of anger and resolve, Toby Keith stepped in to fill the musical void with "The Taliban Song."
"The Taliban Song," naturally, is in keeping with the laws of nature that state that most country music is terrible; but it's also part of that awful Patriotic Anthem sect of country music, the poetic prose of which will be studied and emulated for centuries:
We'll put a boot in your assTop that, Shakespeare. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet as a steel-toed boot avenging September 11th.
It's the American way
A close cousin of the patriotic anthems, by the way, is those slow, sad country songs. None may come to mind now, but you'd know it if you heard it. They're usually playing in the background as you drunk dial your ex-girlfriend, crying, saying that your life is so much better now that she left you for the guy who used to bully you in high school. You know who you are.
What also bugs me about country music is the way some people feel like it gives them free reign to wear their emotions on their sleeves. For example, there's a bar here in Jacksonville called Tarheel's, and it's where the country boys (the legit and the posers) go to drink light beer and compare belt buckles, or whatever it is they do when they're not rustling cattle. They play "God Bless the USA" on the reg there, and when they do, it's like you're transported back in time to when George W. Bush threw the first pitch at Yankee Stadium after 9/11. Patriotic fervor is running high, is what I'm trying to say here. Some guys hold their Stetsons over their hearts, biting their lower lips and tearing up like they're the only one from their battalion who made it back alive from the war.
But please don't get the wrong idea: I'm all about being patriotic. I flew the American flag from the window of my old Camaro after 9/11 and wore an American flag patch on my flak jacket in Iraq AND Afghanistan. You couldn't get more patriotic than that if you taught the Taliban how to play baseball and make apple pies. But don't shove your patriotism in people's faces. You shouldn't have to make a big scene for people to know how much you love your country. The Pharisees made a big scene about praying so people would think they're religious and invite them to dinner parties, and look what happened to them.
I went off onto a pretty wild tangent, but what I'm trying to say here is that I really don't like the song "God Bless the USA." If you like it, that's cool. Enjoy it. Just don't be gay about it.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home