Sunday, April 05, 2009

Adventurestan

I have lost interest lately in just about everything that I used to enjoy doing. I've lost interest in writing on this blog, I've lost interest in reading, and I've certainly lost interest in doing day-to-day Marine Corps work of any kind. I just want to go to Afghanistan and break things. It doesn't help my mindset that the deployment date got moved, and for a while it appeared that it was going to get canceled altogether. That definitely threw my mind off track, from getting my game face on after leave to wondering if I could really get screwed so hard to where I had come to a unique combat unit and only gotten one deployment in three years. But the deployment is back on now, and we're heading over there in mid-May.

I also saw the movie Adventureland two days ago, and it was pretty disappointing. The previews made it look like it was the next Superbad, but it had that depressing independent movie feel. I did, however, enjoy Kristen Stewart in the movie. She was so melancholy and offputting, and honestly, it was pretty hot. But the lead character, Jesse Eisenberg, seemed like he was trying too hard to be Michael Cera. It's like they wrote the character for Cera, but he couldn't end up doing the film, and they didn't feel like writing the part another way.

On the way back from the theater, we were coming up on a fire station and saw a green laser shining down the road. It was a green beam, the handheld lasers we used at night in Iraq to warn off cars that were getting too close. We'd shine it straight in their windshield in the driver's face, and they'd slam their brakes and boogie in the other direction. So we didn't think much more of it until we passed the fire station and those buttholes shined it right in my back window.

These are firefighters we're talking about here. Shining powerful lasers into the windows of passing cars. It didn't hurt or even shine in my eyes, but we knew they aimed it right at us, and just the principle of it pissed us off more than anything. I stopped in the road, busted a U-turn, and drove back toward the fire station. We debated stopping and asking WTF, but decided that wouldn't do much good. At best they'd apologize and keep their green beam to shine at other passing cars when they got bored. So we called 411 to see where the nearest police station was, and it was farther away than we were willing to travel. Then we tried to track down a police car, but couldn't find one that actually had a cop in it. They were probably busy pulling people over for going five miles over the speed limit, because that's what the cops do here. We decided to just go back to the fire station to confront them, but as we passed, we saw there was already a cop car sitting there with its lights on. So I guess someone else called the cops on them.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home