Thanks, but go away before I crush your cookies and dreams.
So I created a Twitter account recently. For those of you wondering what a twitter is, it's simply another means by which you invite people to stalk you. If Facebook and Myspace weren't enough, now you can let people know your every random thought or insignificant activity, all by sending a text message or internet update to Twitter. It will then be posted on your Twitter profile as a message or "tweet." People will then be able to read about how you just ate tomato bisque, and why they should care.
It seemed like something that could be fun, but I very quickly lost interest in it. Probably because I only personally know a couple of people who infrequently use it. Why post stuff if no one's gonna read it? Why don't I just talk to the carpet instead?
It would be way more fun if a lot of my friends and relatives used it, but I'm not going to go door-to-door trying to sell Twitter like some girl scout who's hawking cookies. Speaking of which, they had a group (troop? flock? pride?) of them posted outside the entrance to the PX on base last week. I admire the entrepreneurial spirit, but man, I'm just here to buy some Special K. I used to feel so uncomfortable telling people no, but I've gotten better at it the past few years. I think being in the Marines has made me better at being a douchebag. I may not remember how to do long division, but I can yell at people, shoot a bullseye at 500 yards, and control a fighter jet. I'll be sure to put those things on my resume. But for me, the trick to telling someone no is to act like you're sorry when you're really not. You can do that by politely smiling and giving a small chuckle while you say, "No, sorry, but thanks!" But you're neither sorry nor thankful. Do you really think I'm sorry that I'm not spending $5 on a box of cookies when I can just walk inside and get some for $2? Not in this economy.
And that's another thing that irritates me. The term "in this economy." It's usually said in such a negative, pity-party way, like things have never been worse. I think it's just another thing that people like to complain about because everyone can automatically relate, like high gas prices. Yes, we all know the economy is in a recession, but just like high gas prices, it goes in a cycle.
But back to telling people no, I made a decision that I'm not going to entertain solicitors just for the sake of being polite. I decided this after listening to a guy talk to me in my kitchen for 10 minutes about frozen food when I very obviously didn't want it. But I said yes when he asked if he could show me more because I'm a wuss. Honestly -- and I'm not just saying this -- they don't need to waste their time on me when I've already made up my mind that I don't want the junk they're selling. They could be bothering other people and I could be watching TV. Be polite (or don't, whatever), but do it while you're telling them no and goodbye.
See what I was talking about with Twitter? You try converting all that to a tweet.
It seemed like something that could be fun, but I very quickly lost interest in it. Probably because I only personally know a couple of people who infrequently use it. Why post stuff if no one's gonna read it? Why don't I just talk to the carpet instead?
It would be way more fun if a lot of my friends and relatives used it, but I'm not going to go door-to-door trying to sell Twitter like some girl scout who's hawking cookies. Speaking of which, they had a group (troop? flock? pride?) of them posted outside the entrance to the PX on base last week. I admire the entrepreneurial spirit, but man, I'm just here to buy some Special K. I used to feel so uncomfortable telling people no, but I've gotten better at it the past few years. I think being in the Marines has made me better at being a douchebag. I may not remember how to do long division, but I can yell at people, shoot a bullseye at 500 yards, and control a fighter jet. I'll be sure to put those things on my resume. But for me, the trick to telling someone no is to act like you're sorry when you're really not. You can do that by politely smiling and giving a small chuckle while you say, "No, sorry, but thanks!" But you're neither sorry nor thankful. Do you really think I'm sorry that I'm not spending $5 on a box of cookies when I can just walk inside and get some for $2? Not in this economy.
And that's another thing that irritates me. The term "in this economy." It's usually said in such a negative, pity-party way, like things have never been worse. I think it's just another thing that people like to complain about because everyone can automatically relate, like high gas prices. Yes, we all know the economy is in a recession, but just like high gas prices, it goes in a cycle.
But back to telling people no, I made a decision that I'm not going to entertain solicitors just for the sake of being polite. I decided this after listening to a guy talk to me in my kitchen for 10 minutes about frozen food when I very obviously didn't want it. But I said yes when he asked if he could show me more because I'm a wuss. Honestly -- and I'm not just saying this -- they don't need to waste their time on me when I've already made up my mind that I don't want the junk they're selling. They could be bothering other people and I could be watching TV. Be polite (or don't, whatever), but do it while you're telling them no and goodbye.
See what I was talking about with Twitter? You try converting all that to a tweet.
Labels: Happenings and Natterings
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home