Sunday, June 15, 2008

Training, Topsail, & Telephones

This past week was the first time my platoon has done real training since we got back from Iraq: land navigation courses in the Camp Lejeune wilderness. I like being outside and independent like that, but the heat was just unreal. I haven't been that hot since one day in Fort Sill, Oklahoma when the actual temperature reached 115 degrees. But since the week was so miserable, our platoon commander had no problem letting us off early for the weekend. Me and some friends went to one of the beaches just off base (Topsail Island, in fact), and it was great. The sun wasn't obscenely hot that day and the water was almost the perfect temperature.

As we were driving back from the beach, we saw what had to have been an entire infantry battalion doing a tactical movement into the woods on the south side of the base. It looked like they were heading to the field for the weekend because they were in full combat gear, carrying all types of weapons (rifles, medium and heavy machine guns, mortars), and were wearing huge packs. Meanwhile, we were driving by in beach clothes, windows down, music playing, having got off work at 11:00. It was one of those great "sucks to be you" moments.

Then yesterday I broke my phone. I drop it all the time, but yesterday I dropped it in a way that did serious damage to it. The screen was hanging by wires, but it still worked. I've been wanting an iPhone since they came out (especially after my dad had to help me remove my jaw from the floor when he showed me his), so this was a golden opportunity. The new (and way cheaper) model is coming out in about a month, so I was hoping I could make do with my broken phone until then. But of course I couldn't even get through the rest of the day without dropping it again, this time on concrete, and the flippy part came all the way off. So today I went to the AT&T store with my phone in shambles and tried to get a new one, and long story short, I won't have one until tomorrow. I don't know if I can make it. I can barely go half an hour without texting someone, and now I have nothing. But anyway, the plan is to get some el cheapo phone and wait for the new iPhone to come out.

Also, today is Fathers Day, so be sure to call your dad and buy him a tie, coffee mug, or other stereotype.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger lnewport said...

if you really just want an "el cheapo" phone to get you through the next month, try going to WalMart and buying one of their AT&T Go Phones (i think that's what they're called). they're usually only $15-$20, they have all the basic capabilities (calls and texting), and you can put your own SIM card in them. that's what we always do when we break a phone but don't want to pony up for a new one just yet.

6/16/2008 10:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Talk about a duh! moment. Great advice, Lindsay. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

6/25/2008 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home