Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dimestore Medallions

Over the next three days we're holding company formations to present awards from the deployment we just returned from. Each day the recipients from one platoon are going to receive their medals or certificates or whatever they're getting, and today's was for headquarters platoon.

There were almost 20 Marines receiving awards out of the 45ish-member headquarters platoon, and all but three received the Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal (NAM). The NAM is awarded for an outstanding achievement, but can also be awarded with a Combat V ( for valor). So far there hasn't been one awarded with a V.

Last year the unit gave out NAMs to Marines who had achieved something remarkable in combat, such actual examples as pulling a guy out of a burning humvee or rescuing someone who had been blown into a canal during a firefight. This year, at least so far, the awards have been for mediocre, non-combat actions. Essentially, the Marines received NAMs for doing their jobs. My platoon is receiving awards tomorrow, and I hope that no one is receiving a medal for something ridiculous. Luckily, we have an outstanding commander/platoon sergeant duo who knows when an award is justified and when it's not. Frankly, it's embarrassing for a combat unit with a very unique mission to be awarding medals to people for doing their job as they're expected, and it's sad to see a fairly high-ranking personal award such as the NAM be cheapened by handing it out for silly reasons.

After the formation I texted a friend of mine who wasn't there to tell him what he missed, and it started an exchange of tongue-in-cheek remarks:
"You missed it, the CO laid out a box of NAMs and let headquarters take as many as they wanted."

"There's a lance corporal in 2nd platoon who's getting the Navy Cross for putting oil in his team's humvee."

"I saw a car get rear-ended this morning, do I rate a combat action ribbon?"

"I helped an old lady carry her groceries, do I rate a humanitarian medal, outstanding volunteer medal, or both?"

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home